September 30, 2004


Time for Carnival of Recipes. This time it is being hosted by Trudy of Food Basics. Be share to go check out all the recipes!

This recipe is not that hard... just the timing - particularly if you have kids! But kids love to help as well. And if it comes out right, it melts in your mouth! Otherwise it makes great topping for ice cream. Grin!

2/3 cup Hersey Cocoa
3 cups sugar (sifted)
1/8 tsp salt
1 ½ cups milk
4 ½ tbsp butter
½ tsp vanilla
Pecans (optional)
Cooking thermometer (needs to be able to read 100 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and 60 to 100 degrees Celsius range)

Combine and mix well, cocoa, sugar and salt. Warm milk in 3 quart pot on stove. Add mixture to milk after it is warm, stirring well. Keep milk warm at low heat (no higher than medium) and mix until starting to boil. Heat to softball stage (approx 235 degrees F). Once softball stage is reached, remove from heat and add butter (do NOT stir). Let it sit until 110 degrees F. Add Vanilla and nuts. Beat until thick and starting to lose glossy sheen. Pour IMMEDIATELY out of the bowl. Spread to your preference. Cut when fudge has completely lost it’s sheen.

Posted by vw bug at 06:39 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Humor for the day - The Golden Phone

A man in Topeka, Kansas, decided to write a book about churches around the country. He started by flying to San Francisco, and started working east from there. Going to a very large church, he began taking photographs and making notes.

He spotted a golden telephone on the vestibule wall and was intrigued with a sign which read $10,000 a minute." Seeking out the pastor he asked about the phone and the sign. The pastor answered that this golden phone is, in fact, a direct line to Heaven and if he paid the price he can talk directly to God.

The man thanked the pastor and continued on his way. As he continued to visit churches in Seattle, Salt Lake, Denver, Chicago, Milwaukee, and around the United States, he found more phones, with the same sign, and the same answer from each pastor.

Finally he arrived in the Florida Panhandle (LA-"Lower Alabama"). Upon entering a church, behold, he saw the usual golden telephone. But THIS time, the sign read "Calls: 25 cents." Fascinated, he asked to talk to the pastor. "Reverend, I have been in cities all across the country and in each church I have found this golden telephone and have been told it is a direct line to Heaven and that I could talk to God, but, in the other churches the cost was $10,000 a minute. Your sign reads 25 cents a call. Why?" (I just love this part) The pastor, smiling benignly, replied, "Son, you're in the South now, and it's a local call."

Posted by vw bug at 10:14 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 29, 2004

In-laws are safe and sound

They have power and phone. Might have had phone earlier if the phone had been turned on. GRIN. Just letting everyone know, all of us are A O K.
Posted by vw bug at 05:06 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

New Blog Uncle!

There is a new member to Blog Grandpappy's family. It is Jeff at Au Fait. Since I'm a grandchild, he is my uncle. This is going to get confusing in the future. But go check out Jeff. He is funny, geeky and entertaining.
Posted by vw bug at 06:41 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Just a couple of stories about the time after the hurricane

Mom is lying down on the mattress in #1 Son’s room. Yep, we put down mattresses to have all of us sleep in there the day after the hurricane. His was the coolest room, so in went the twin mattresses off the daybed and trundle. It makes a king size bed, and lots of fun for kids. Mom laid down and was playing with #2 Son. He came crawling / walking over to me, put his head over my face and I thought he was going to kiss me. What I received was a face full of barf. No electricity, no running water. UGH. I got up and wiped it up with napkins. Got a small bowl of water from our washing machine and try to clean up the best I could. And all I can think of is how nice it would be to have a HOT shower.

Next one comes from the Family hit by Ivan. We got to talk while I was out of power. I had phone off and on, but no power. From a previous post, I was breaking things left and right. Later on, when talking on the phone, I had a tendency to tell my family about the stupid things I have been doing because of sleep deprivation. Here comes the kicker – they started telling one another when ever someone broke something or did something stupid – You did a Bug. Yep! For example: My sister in P’cola was going through the list of Hurricanes that have hit Florida, starting with the letter A (Andrew), and continuing through the alphabet while talking to Mom. She stopped at the letter I, looked my Mom in the face and said she couldn’t remember the Hurricane that started with I. She was serious. Mom laughed and told her she pulled a Bug. Another example: My Bro-in-law cleaned out my parents freezer for them, giving most of the good food to the people cooking for the National Guard, but taking some home and left the milk containers full of water in the freezer. Those milk containers contained milk, not water. Yep, they told him he pulled a Bug. Oh, there are a lot more of these stories… but I got a kick out of those two. And NO I am not going to post about all the stupid stuff I do when I have had no sleep. Though the one that most people can relate to is when I went to the cabinet and couldn’t find the milk. I stood there for a long time looking in that cabinet for milk… it just wasn’t there. Then it clicked… I have to look in the fridge.

Finally, the kids had a blast with their Dad. Every time he got down on the floor, all 3 of them would congregate over to him. He got jumped on, pawed, hugged, climbed and more. Those kids love playing with Dad. It was so much fun to watch. #1 Son trying to get on his shoulders, while #2 Son tried to climb in his lap, while #1DogSon tried to lick his face. Or watching him help #1 Son play with #1DogSon while keeping #2 Son safe.

This post is getting long, so I’ll stop here. It certainly was difficult with 2 sick kids, the heat, the humidity, the lack of sleep, and no electricity for running water. I still wouldn’t trade it for the world. The kids had fun with their dad, it was not the end of the world, and we have so much more to look forward to in the days coming up.

Posted by vw bug at 06:38 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 28, 2004

Top 10 Reasons Hurricane Season in Florida is Like Christmas

10. Decorating the house (boarding up windows) 9. Dragging out boxes that haven't been used since last season (camping gear, flashlights) 8. Last minute shopping in crowded stores 7. Regular TV shows pre-empted for "specials" 6. Family coming to stay with you 5. Family and friends from out-of-state calling 4. Buying food you don't normally buy ... and in large quantities 3. Days off from work 2. Candles And the number one reason Hurricane Season is like Christmas .. 1. At some point you know you're going to have a tree in your house
Posted by vw bug at 08:04 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Pictures of the day after Hurricane Jeanne

Talk about a teaser! They turned my power on for 45 minutes and then turned it OFF. And proceeded to leave it off for another 3 hours. Which means that by the time I got everything done for the evening… I wasn’t going to write one single word. I went to bed and tried to get some sleep in a house that was 78 degrees. Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

I have some pictures for you.

This is the fence to the east side of our house. The ficus trees had some limbs down from Frances, but it is worse this time.

Standing at ficus trees and looking North. Notice not only is our huge pine tree down and cut up by the county, but in the background there is a kid in a canoe rowing by.

Here is just a shot down the east side road.

Ok, Husband is standing in the road in front of our house and taking a picture of his legs to give a perspective. Scary isn’t it?

While standing in the same place he looked east and took this picture:

Then he turned west and took this picture.

Standing at the house, this is our front yard.

Ok, I have got laundry to do and vacuuming and dishes. So, I will write about the other stories later. Thought you would enjoy the pictures more!

Posted by vw bug at 09:18 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 27, 2004

Back In Business!

I'm Back! Wait till you hear the stories I have. Will put out more later. I just got POWER and PHONE!!! Yippeeeee. Must get to work on cleaning up and getting the kids settled down to having tv and airconditioning!
Posted by vw bug at 03:19 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 25, 2004

In-laws Without Power in PSL

It is only 5pm and my in-laws living in Port St. Lucie are already without Power. Not a good sign.

Go Go Go away, do NOT come back another day.

Been around my children for way too long enclosed in a house. Grin.

Proud of my #1 Son. Went to get him for dinner and he was sitting in his room with a book open and looking at it. Ahhh. Something good to talk about.

Here is a good site for seeing the storm via radar.

Posted by vw bug at 05:20 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

My Posting May Slow Down!

Unlike my friend Bou, I do not have anyone with power to do a guest post for me. So if I lose power, you will not hear from me for a while. I am almost completely done with all my prep work. We'll see how it goes from here. The latest I just saw was it should strengthen to 125MPH before landfall.

Here's hoping I've got power in the morning! :-)

Posted by vw bug at 03:08 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

The State of Florida

Talk about friends... GRIN. Someone NOT living in Florida sent me this. I could not resist posting it.

Posted by vw bug at 01:52 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Jeanne is on her way...

Let us have a hurricane to show the weathermen that hurricanes do what they want. Why did it have to be this one right now???? Oh it's going to go into the Atlantic and die out. Yep, it sure did. It's going to turn North... yep, it sure did. Grin. Ok, back to work. Clothes to fold, kids to feed, house to pick up, dishes to wash and put up, 2 more loads to wash and dry and fold, more water to freeze, and so on...

Not sure who in our Blog family is in Florida... but I'll be checking the web for weather and the comments in this blog. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out. I'm sure we are all busy busy since this came out of nowhere.
Stay safe!

Posted by vw bug at 07:39 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 24, 2004

Pajama Party at Grandpappy Harvey's

Ok, yesterday I was stressin' and not think'n. So I sent my entry to the Pajama Party at Grandpappy Harvey's and didn't put it out for my family to see. Still too lazy this morning to go get it and put it out here. I will give you a head's up family. I cheated. I went to and looked to purchase a set of pajamas. Found a good look'n woman and sent that to Grandpappy Harvey. GRIN!

Enjoy the party!

Posted by vw bug at 07:45 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 23, 2004

Blog Entries May Be Sparce

Looks like I have to get ready for Hurricane Jeanne. Freezing milk, getting clothes washed, pick out what to bag in case house gets wet, and so on. Besides the fact I have 2 appointments tomorrow that must be kept. Oh well, part of the fun (merriment? excitement?) of living in Florida. Already waited 25 minutes in line for gas today and one of my appointments is in Wellington. For those not in Florida, it's a 30 to 45 minute drive and will take lots of gas. Blah.

Ok, time for sleep (it's 9pm) and time to relax before the insanity starts tomorrow.

Posted by vw bug at 09:13 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack


Time for Carnival of Recipes! Jennifer at Mellow-Drama is hosting it this week. Here is my entry from "The Perfect Recipe" cookbook by P. Anderson. I usually double it, mix the meatloaf ingredients, divide it up into loaves and freeze it. All I have to do is thaw, make the topping and cook!

2 tsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 large eggs
1 tsp dried thyme leaves (or Italian seasoning)
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp hot red pepper sauce
½ cup milk, buttermilk or low-fat plain yogurt (I use whole milk)
2 lbs meat-loaf mix (50% ground beef, 25% ground veal, 25% ground pork)
2/3 cup crushed saltine crackers (about 16 crackers) or quick oatmeal or 1 1/3 cup fresh bread crumbs (I use bread crumbs)
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
Optional: 6 oz thin-sliced bacon (8-9 slices)

1. Make glaze first and set aside (see below for Glaze)
2. Preheat oven to 350? F. Heat oil in medium skillet. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. Mix eggs with thyme, salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire, pepper sauce and milk. Add egg mixture to meat in a large bowl, along with bread crumbs, parsley and cooked onions and garlic; mix with a fork until evenly blended and meat mixture does not stick to bowl. (If mixture does stick, add additional milk, a couple of tablespoons at a time, and continue stirring until mixture stops sticking.)
4. Turn meat mixture onto a work surface. With we hands, pat mixture into a loaf approximately 9 x 5 inches.
5. Cover a wire rack with foil; prick foil in several places with a fork. Place rack on a shallow roasting pan lined with foil for easy cleanup. Set formed loaf on rack. Brush loaf with all of glaze, then if using optional bacon; arrange bacon slices, crosswise, over loaf, overlapping them slightly and tucking them under loaf to prevent curling.
6. Back loaf until bacon is crisp and loaf registers 160? F, about 1 hour. Cool for at least 20 minutes. Slice and serve.

¼ cup ketchup or chili sauce
2 tbl light or dark brown sugar
2 tsp cider or white vinegar

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.

Posted by vw bug at 05:20 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Papa Is Out of the Hospital (and Jeanne Jeanne go away)

They kicked him out. Bah hahah... ok, so they let him out of the hospital. They are still saying with my Sis in Molino (P'cola). Mamaw and Papa do have power and water at the house today. But they have decided to give it a couple of days before moving back. Besides the water is not drinkable.

Now we just have to watch that .itch Jeanne (oh... Hurricane Jeanne) for the next 3 days. It took me 25 minutes to get gas today. Can you say people are PARANOID? Sigh. I just needed gas. Oh well. We'll see what the weekend brings.

Posted by vw bug at 04:28 PM | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Walking and Butts

#2 Son took 5 steps on his own in the yard. Way to go Son! #1 Son didn’t see you and push you down. You’ll walk yet. GRIN. It has been an out of the ordinary trip for the last 2 months. 50% of the time I have been stopping #1 Son from pushing #2 Son down when he tries to walk, the other 50% of the time, I just holler because I can’t get there fast enough. Who knows how many times he kept #2 Son from walking when I didn’t see it. But #2 Son won’t be stopped.

#1 Son spoke 3 words in the Speech Therapy session today. He would say “Mo Pweese” when he wanted another car from the jar! He also said “car”. Mom learned how to work with him on saying more words, but it also requires Mom to do more work. I have to separate his cars and trucks into 3 bags. Why? So he can ask for the bag with cars, the bag with trucks or the bag with both. 3 words – car, truck, both. There is more to this, but I don’t want to think about it.

Now if we can keep Dad in control. So far #1 Son has learned how to say ‘Butt’ from Dad. Dada’s Butt, Mama’s Butt, and so on. I am waiting for us to be out in public and him to scream “Mama’s Butt”. So far I have lucked out.

Ok, off and running for another day. Little slow lately because of stuff going on. But have lots to blog about. Stop lights, insurance, and snotty noses. I’ll get around to them eventually.

Posted by vw bug at 08:29 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 22, 2004

Update on Pensacola Family

Quick update:

1. My sis in P'cola has Power!!!
2. Papa has been moved from Isolation. Where? I haven't the foggiest yet, something about the 6th Floor. Hope there still is a 6th floor. GRIN.
3. He should be leaving the hospital on Friday.
4. No power nor water at Papa and Mamaw's house, but they do have working phone lines there.
5. Mamaw is staying at Sis in P'cola's until they get power and water at their own home.

That is all for now.

Posted by vw bug at 02:19 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 21, 2004

Female Humor and others

Female Comebacks!

Man: Haven't I seen you someplace before?
Woman: Yes, that's why I don't go there anymore.

Man:! Is this seat empty?
Woman: Yes, and this one will be if you sit down.

Man: Your place or mine?
Woman: Both. You go to yours, and I'll go to mine.

Man: So, what do you do for a living?
Woman: I'm a female impersonator.

Man: Hey baby, what's your sign?
Woman: Do not enter.

Man: How do you like your eggs in the morning?
Woman: Unfertilized

Man: Your body is like a temple.
Woman: Sorry, there are no services today.

Man: I would go to the end of the world for you.
Woman: But would you stay there?

Man: If I could see you naked, I'd die happy.
Woman: If I saw you naked, I'd probably die laughing.

Found this condom humor funny as well.

Posted by vw bug at 04:28 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 20, 2004

6 or Cute?

I could not make up my mind what to call this entry. 3 + 3 is NOT equal to 6 OR How to be Cute at 2am. It amazes me what my #1 Son can do to get his Dad to laugh at 2 in the morning. My Husband is NOT a morning person. I try not to talk to him for the first 30 minutes. Yet my #1 Son can wake up screaming, have Dad go into comfort him and then #1 Son puts on a show that has Dad (and eventually Mom) cracking up. Though it took Dad 3 tries to get Mom out of bed to see it. Something about being up with #2 Son at 1am does not make me want to get up again between the hours of 2am to 4am. But Dad succeeded and out I came to see what #1 Son was doing.

Some background might help you understand the pride and the humor of this situation. #1 Son was tested at a child development center. I was worried about his lack of speech. He tested above average in verbal comprehension, non-verbal comprehension, gross motor skills, and fine motor skills. He tested average on Social skills (hmmm, might be due to the fact that he only sees another kid once or twice a month). He tested below average in Speech. Gee, like that was a surprise? (note the sarcasm).

So last night was humorous in the fact that my #1 Son would NOT shut up. He was trying to tell some story about bugs, #1 DogSon, and a cow. He used his arms, his facial expressions and some little jig to do this story as well as talked the WHOLE time. I only recognized a few words. Who knows what the dog, cow and bugs were doing? Maybe #1 Son. He repeated this exact story over and over and over and over…. Which was also cute. But Mom is not that patient of a woman at that time of the morning and soon put an end to the cuteness and said SLEEP is priority. Seeing it once, even twice – was cute. After that… it was late, I was tired… hence the 3 + 3 does NOT equal 6. I got 3 hours sleep, then was awake, then got 2 ½ hours sleep (rounded up to 3). But you can in no way call that 6 hours sleep.

I am proud of my #1 Son. He has started to talk. I am hoping with the speech therapist (who is training me, not him) that we can get that story out and even understand every word. So I guess I should have named this entry How to be Cute at 2am.

Posted by vw bug at 05:10 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 19, 2004

Papa is enjoying air conditioning

Here is the latest update on my family for those family and friends reading this blog. Papa is enjoying air conditioning and tv in the West Florida Hospital. There is a picture of the Hospital in the Pensacola News Journal. The set of pictures is labeled "Navarre, Navarre Beach and West Florida Hospital (9-18-04)". It's the last picture, of course. Grin. My Retired Marine Bro-in-law said the hospital looked like it had been bombed. Oh well... The Hospital got power last night after Papa was checked in and he is enjoying the air conditioning and tv today.

Basically, they are running tests on his lymph nodes and neck. The nodes are swollen. I will let everyone know more as the doctors let us know more.

Since it doesn't look like Mamaw and Papa will be going to their own home soon, the Retired Marine Bro-in-law, went to the folks house and cleaned out their fridge and freezer. He had been running the generator, so most of the food was still good. He gave the majority of the good stuff to a neighbor who was cooking for the National Guard. They are going to eat well tonight! Chicken, steaks, pizza. :-) And now my sis and family have a few more good meals at her house.

My sis, Tink, in Niceville is doing terrific. Her daughter and family came back from their 'vacation' in Atlanta and all are doing fine. Tink is available to go to P'cola when the roads clear up some more and there is gas more readily obtainable. Of course she would go now if it was an emergency. But everyone really is doing fine considering the conditions.

Still waiting on pictures of Myrtle Grove, my sis said it looked terrible and was surprised it wasn’t in the news. Of course it’ll be a week or so before I get pictures here (or even longer!).
When I do, I'll be sure to post a few for everyone to see.

That's all for now!

Posted by vw bug at 09:17 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 18, 2004

Update on Family in P’cola

Heard from my parents and my sisters. The one in Niceville has power and water and no noticeable damage to her house. The sister in Pensacola is doing fine and now has her cell phone working (AT&T Wireless is up). Same with the folks, their cell phones are working as well and they are still staying with my sis in P’cola. She has water but no land line phone nor power.

Family is still assessing the damage at the folk’s house. My sister said it looks like the house is surrounded by downed trees. The worst part is some of these trees came up out of the ground. One root ball was as high as the eaves of the house. They neighborhood still has no power and water.

My sister in Niceville will see if she can head over sometime in the next week and get me some digital pictures. I would like to see what really has happened. I will post more as I get information. As always the Pensacola News Journal is putting out information. Including information on which gas stations are running and which food stores are open.

Posted by vw bug at 04:38 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Carnival of Recipes is Great!

This week the Carnival of Recipes is brought to you by Prochein Amy. Thanks! There are some great recipes there (including my first recipe!).

I like the Tomato Bagelwich from Booklore. I'll give it a try.

I love easy recipes that sound delicious... so I'll be trying the Parmesan Buttermilk Chicken Breast from Inside Allan's Mind.

And being a huge chocolate lover, I'll be giving the Chocolate-Chocolate Cake a try from Angela at Fresh as a Daisy.

Go check it out. Well worth the time.

Posted by vw bug at 07:06 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 17, 2004

Gross and really gross

Ok, having children is always a learning experience. It is just a matter of deciding which child can be the grossest (is that a word? If not, it is now in this household). Yesterday #2 Son waited until I was 2 feet away, walking back with a papertowel to clean him with, to put his index finger covered with cereal and apricots up his nose to the second knuckle. UGH. Watching that or cleaning it out… not sure which was worse. Then #1 Son had a BM (*) with an uneaten fully formed ½ a grape in it. Double UGH. The things I stop them from doing make me wonder about what would happen if you just let them do what they want.

#1 Son tried to pick up Dog Poop. Luckily it was the neighbor’s small dog that did it and not #1 DogSon. Also, I stopped him before he was able to reach it. #2 Son tried to eat a bug. Stopped him too. Of course I remember pulling ½ a roach out of #1 Son’s mouth one day when he was much younger. Definitely GROSS. For the first time in my life I almost threw up immediately. And this is from the woman, while dissecting a frog in the 10th grade, took the feet we had cut off and put them on pencils and made little dances with them. The point being that it takes a lot to make me sick.

So if you are squeamish, don’t have kids. Or make sure you have someone around to help when all this gross stuff happens. What am I going to face when they get older????

Posted by vw bug at 01:26 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 16, 2004

Pensacola (aka P’cola)

Friday, Sept 17. Latest update is:

1. No phones. Cannot reach my sister or parents via cell or land line.
2. My oldest sister left early today to head home. They could not reach anyone to see how their house fair'd through the storm. I can understand wanting to get home and see if the tree in their backyard went through the house.

Good sites:

They are doing a good job at keeping this up to date.

The Penscola News Journal has a forum in the middle right that has q & a going on for the area that is decent. I tried to register 3 times and it never took for me... but others have had success.

More as I find out about it.

Old News:

My folks and sister and husband made it through the storm alive. The damage this storm has caused though, won’t really be known for days. The last update I got from my sister was the following:

1. They have water damage that came through the roof air vents. They have the kind that run along the top of the peak of the house. They do not have water nor power. They DO have phone.

2. They reached a neighbor in my mom and dad’s neighborhood. The two HUGE oak trees out front came down. The neighbor said one of the oak trees was blocking the front door. Because of it’s size they could not see if any other damage had been done. (side note: these trees where so large I could not even wrap my arms half way around the trunk of either one)

More will be known later when the curfew is lifted. Right now they are saying that NO ONE is to drive around. If you want to see what is going on, like the ¼ mile missing out of the I-10 bridge into Pensacola, or what damage has been done, go to:

They seem to be updating it every hour or two. My oldest sister was down on vacation in Orlando and is arriving at my place today. So you may not get an entry for a day or two. However, I will try to update this entry as I learn more about family and friends.

Thank you for your prayers! My family is alive! And so is Bou's parents!

Posted by vw bug at 12:11 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Toss’n and a Turn’n

Well I know my sons take after their father at times and this is one of the traits I was hoping they wouldn’t get. They toss and turn in their sleep. Not just a little, I mean they are all over the beds. I kept hearing things yesterday while they were napping. I would go in and check. #1 Son started with his head at one end of the bed and when I looked, he had flipped. #2 Son had started against one side the crib and now was lying with his back on the other side at the other end. Mind you, I kept hearing Thud Thud Thud. So they weren’t turning slowly or easily. They had to have been really rolling and smacking the side. Take right after their father. Thank goodness I can sleep on a spot less than a foot wide, otherwise I think I would be black and blue some mornings. Well, at least they were sleeping. Today I went to the store and they took a 15 minute nap at 11am. I’m screwed. I don’t think I’ll be able to get them down for another nap later. Sigh. I think I would rather they nap and I hear the Thud Thud Thud than have a LONG day with no real nap.
Posted by vw bug at 11:49 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 15, 2004

Mom is Falling Apart

First a little background. I had some problems when I was pregnant with #1 Son. Including going up to 196 pounds on a 5’2” frame. They kept testing me for all sorts of things, but nothing showed up. I think it was because I was drinking over a gallon of water a day. All of this was stressful, having my first child was stressful, lack of sleep for months afterwards was stressful and then finally – a light at the end of the tunnel. Around 6 months of age, my husband started taking #1 Son 3 to 4 times a week and letting me go horseback riding. I went down to 132 pounds (my ideal weight – IMHO I believe women should have some ‘cushion for the pushin’ and not be skinny – unless it is in their genes). Got enough sleep (4 hours or more a night) and felt great. Had a sense of humor again and the house was almost clean.

Then I was pregnant with #2 Son. Definitely had problems with him and he arrived 5 weeks early. He tried to come earlier and it was extremely stressful. We ended up staying a week in the hospital, then you come home to 2 sons, no sleep, husband has to go back work and a household to run. Stress was definitely in the works. My Husband has had to deal with a Wife that keeps losing her sense of humor, when she talks it seems like all it she says is complaints and a house that looks like a tornado goes through it all the time.

Every so often things settle down, the boys are getting older and I occasionally get sleep. But I have discovered – Mom’s are NOT allowed to get sick. Ever. When I had a sinus infection a couple of months ago, I was a BITCH. I could not take anything for the sniffles (I’m breastfeeding and what I take effects the boy – so I am very careful not to take stuff unless I really really have to) and mild antibiotics for the infection. This means I stay sick longer and stay bitchier longer. Of course I have stress in the rest of my family that affects me whether I want it to or not. But recently with the hurricane, visiting my folks and the trip from hell, I was feeling AWFUL. I swear I kept losing time. I would sit with the kids and when I looked back at the clock an hour had passed. Nothing in the house was done and yet I felt tired. My Husband wanted to stay at work (ie not come home). I guess that means I am definitely falling apart.

Today, I finally broke down and went to the doctor. Turns out I have a pinched nerve in my neck. The rash on my hand is due to stress. And I just need to get some rest, exercise and relax. Oh and here is some medicine for the pinched nerve and a cream for the rash. Bah hahahahahahaha. Ok, now that the tears in my eyes are wiped dry from laughing so hard… I may not be putting out as many blog entries until I work out a better routine to try and get some rest. I doubt I’ll get sleep or exercise… and I guess I won’t have an excuse to eat ice cream and cookies since that means the side of my face will quit hurting from the pinched nerve and I should be able to chew normally again. Well, gotta take the good with the bad. Grin. Hopefully, I'll get myself back together soon and life will be more enjoyable for all.

Side note: Say a prayer, or whatever it is you do, for the people in the Panhandle of Florida – that is where my sisters and parents live, as well as Bou’s folks. Thanks!

Posted by vw bug at 01:06 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Books-A-Million and One

Ok, take a two year old walking around, an 11 month crawling and a Mom who HAD to get out of the house. The library is closed (due to Hurricane Frances), I hate the mall, and outside is off limits due to mosquitoes. Where to go? For this bookworm, Books-A-Million is only 15 minutes away. Must be the place to take children, they have children’s books! Bah hah hah hah.

Did I mention my two year old loves books too? Seems I forgot that part of it as I went into the store and let him out of the stroller to walk with me. Off we go down the aisles. What was interesting at this store was that there was no room down the aisles except for 1 person at a time. Luckily I have a tandem stroller, but it also means that I take up about 5 feet in length. So people had a wait before they could get around me. Then wait a little while longer for I was picking up and putting back books every other step. Every Blue’s Clues, every Bob The Builder, every Dora the Explorer and so on was fair game for my #1 Son. He even ignored the big play center with trains and the 2 older boys playing with it to keep going for books.

I finally got him away from the kid section and over to the Sci/Fi / Fantasy to find him bring over a book with the Cat In The Hat on it. I was dumfounded. Where did he find that over here? It turned out to be a journal with the Cat In The Hat on the cover. Good eyes that boy has. Well, I made it out with only one book (for me!) and my sanity somewhat in tack. I believe I put all those books back where they belonged. And only came home with one. BIG GRIN!

Posted by vw bug at 11:42 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 14, 2004

Kahlua Cake

For more delicious recipes, visit this week's Carnival of Recipes.

This is not an easy recipe. But well worth making. I usually triple the icing... because I eat so much of it before it makes it to the cake. :-) Here is my first entry for the Carnival of Recipes! Enjoy!

Cake Ingredients:
3 eggs separated
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup soft butter
1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
¾ cup strong cold coffee (instant is fine)
¾ cup kahlua


Sift flour, cocoa and baking soda together.
Cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks one at a time.
Add flour mixture, alternating with coffee and kahlua to cream mixture. Blend well.
Beat egg whites until frothy. Beat in sugar until stiff peaks. Take above mixture and fold into egg whites.
Pour into pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on wire racks before frosting.

Frosting Ingredients:

6 tbl softened butter
1 lb sifted powdered sugar (3 ½ cups)
3 tbl unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tbl kahlua
3 tbl hot coffee


In large bowl, cream together the butter and powdered sugar. Alternately add kahlua and hot coffee. Beat until smooth. Frost cake.

Posted by vw bug at 02:18 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Happy Birthday Grandpappy Harvey

Hope you have a happy and wonderful Boobie fest on your special day. Enjoy yourself!
Posted by vw bug at 12:24 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 13, 2004

Mosquitoes from Hell

After this Hurricane, we have the mosquitoes from hell. I have lived in Florida more than I have lived outside of Florida and I have not seen the mosquitoes this bad before. Even with bug spray containing DEET they are attacking. By the SWARMS. We can’t walk our dog and kids more than a block and we are running back home.

Side note: Dad and #1 Son usually win the race home… I have the stroller with #2 Son and #1 DogSon to bring back with me. #1 DogSon is NOT into running.

I decided to do some research on these pesky beasts and found this web site:

My interpretation of what the web site says on these monsters finding us…
1. Chemical sensors: They can smell us 100 feet away. ATTACK!
2. Visual sensors: They can see you moving, particularly if you are wearing clothing that contrasts with the background. ATTACK!
3. Heat sensors: They can detect heat. Body heat. ATTACK!

From the article: “Something with this many sensors sounds more like a military aircraft than an insect. That's why mosquitoes are so good at finding and biting you!”

And the ones around here SOUND like military aircraft buzzing you. So if I want to make sure they aren’t going to bite my family I will need to do the following:

1. Put on something they don’t like the smell of on our bodies
2. Wear camouflage clothing for our area (a combination of dirt road / cut up trees)
3. Make sure we don’t produce any body heat while walking in the 100 degrees F heat index we are having outside.

Ok, so there is no way I can do any of the above…. Well maybe the smelling like something they don’t think is food… but then I don’t think I’ll be able to handle the smell, so there is no way I can do any of the above.


Posted by vw bug at 09:19 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

All is Quiet

#1 Son seems to know Mom is not getting enough sleep. I have gotten more hugs in 2 days than I have in weeks. Though it seems both my sons are not feeling good. So maybe the hugs are because he is not feeling good, not because he knows Mom loves attention when she is not feeling good. There is nothing definite, they just seem slow, tired and willing to sit and not move. Definitely not my children! My two kids are not driving me nuts while I’m making phone calls, doing dishes and laundry, picking up toys, writing blogs and making lunches. Something definitely is WRONG. Hope it goes away soon and that I don’t catch it.

Though I must thank Bou for getting me hooked on ‘There goes a xxx’ with Dave. This Mom who didn’t let #1 Son see T.V. unless Dad was home (my how my ideas change with a second son) is now letting #1 Son sit in front of ‘There goes a Tank’ with TankDriver Dave. #2 Son is sitting in front of the dishwasher waiting to see what trouble he can get into when Mom isn’t looking. Ok, off to feed the monsters.

Fixed 9/19
As a side note, seeing that header reminded me of dinner when I was younger. My sisters and I got the giggles one night at the dinner table. Mom got tired of it, raised her voice and told us… “Be Quiet, Q.U.I.T.E, Quiet!” Needless to say we ended up ROTLF. At least we weren’t giggling anymore. Grin.

Posted by vw bug at 11:51 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 11, 2004

God’s Toy for Boys

Ok, I grew up in a household with 2 sisters, a female dog and my mom and dad. With Dad being in the military, he was not around that much. So I had no idea what it would be like to have male children. Come to think of it, I have 2 boys, a male dog, a male pony and a Husband. I truly can empathize with my Dad now! But back to the story…

My #1 Son discovered himself when he was young. Yes, as in discovered his pe-nis. And I don’t remember it lasting long. #2 Son has to be different. About a month or so ago, he really discovered it. Now almost every time I take his diaper off, his hands shoot down there and grab hold. I’m female, so I don’t understand exactly how a boy child can grab themselves and do the things he does with his pe-nis. I have seen him pinch it, pull it, squish it, smack it with a metal toy car he had in his hand when the diaper came off, and other things that just make me want to cringe. It has got to be painful. But he continues to do it. He just won’t let go (pun intended).

My mother-in-law saw this and told me it was God’s toy for boys and her sons did it too. Ugh! I just can’t believe that they survive this torture they do to themselves. Though I did notice this week, my #1 Son put his hand in front of his crotch when #1 DogSon came running at him. I am hoping that #2 Son will soon outgrow this… as I am beginning to hate to change a diaper for fear he will injure himself.

It does help me understand men just a little better however. This reaching and scratching the crotch just comes naturally… they have been doing since they were infants. Big UGH.

Can’t wait to see what happens as they get older. It will certainly be entertaining.

Posted by vw bug at 09:20 PM | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Tornado (uhhmmm Hurricane) Ivan

My mom said something to me about Ivan almost being a tornado with 165mph winds. So I went and looked up tornadoes.


Category F1: Moderate Damage (73-112 mph); Peels surface off roofs; mobile homes pushed off foundations or overturned; moving autos blown off road.

Category F2: Considerable Damage (113-157 mph); Roofs torn off frame houses; mobile homes demolished; boxcars overturned; large trees snapped or uprooted; light-object missiles generated; cars lifted off ground.

Category F3: Severe Damage (158- 206 mph); Roofs and some walls torn off well-constructed houses, trains overturned; most trees in forest uprooted; heavy cars lifted off ground and thrown.

Ok, this makes Ivan a Category F3 Tornado. Trains overturned. Heavy cars lifted off the ground and thrown. Hmmm. And hurricanes have a tendency to last longer, have a bigger eye and spawn tornadoes. Though I do not think Ivan is going to hit the east coast of Florida, I do keep an eye on it. I have friends and family throughout Florida and do not wish any of them to have to deal with a hurricane of this size and intensity. Hopefully it will get into the Gulf and just become a tropical storm and go away. Though I don’t think that will happen, I just had to post information on how dangerous this storm will be for wherever it decides to land. Keep informed!

Posted by vw bug at 09:06 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Lonely and Helpless

I wasn’t going to write anything about 9/11 until every blog I went too seemed to have something on it. Most were about people who knew people, others had profound thoughts on terrorist. Mine is not profound and I didn’t know anyone. In fact, that was the part that made it so painful.

The place I was working at the time had bought a company 15 years earlier that was in Long Island, NY. So 60 to 70 percent of the people I worked with had transferred down from NYC and had family and friends still in NYC. When the Twin Towers were hit and we knew about it, most everyone I worked with and considered friends were on the phone trying to reach someone. I was one of the few that just stood in front of the T.V. and watched. I was so alone. There was nothing I could do. I saw the emotions in everyone around me and I was hurt, frustrated, angry and dumfounded. I did not know how to comfort any of my co-workers / friends. I did not know what was going to happen next. I just stood there. To this day I still don’t know how they lived through it. I listened to so many stories, both happy and sad. But the not knowing, the watching them trying to call and unable to get through or reach someone. Just standing there unable to do anything. I never want to live through that again.

I wish all of those that lost someone the comfort of knowing that people care – I care. And for those lucky enough to have someone make it through all of that, people still care – I care. There is nothing I can say or do to make it any better… but I am here for you and will listen to you.

Posted by vw bug at 09:02 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 10, 2004

BG, I am so happy for you!

My sister-in-law just had fantastic news that the biopsy from her breast lump is negative! YAAAA. Just had to pass on the magnificent news. Great going BG. BG now stands for Beautiful and Gorgeous in my mind! Have some champagne and enjoy your weekend.
Posted by vw bug at 02:35 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Weird stuff in the news

It just amazes me what people do and what gets out in the news. I went to the Yahoo News site, the Oddly Enough section.

And there is news on a live television footage of a young woman having her nipple pierced on German reality TV show.

Or this article that according to the mayor of a small Dutch town, allowing Highland heifers to graze in a nearby nature reserve will help deter couples who have scandalized the upright citizens of Spaarnwoude with their open-air sex antics.

And just to keep something strange in the US (and in Florida of course), how about this article from DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - A man who swung an alligator at his girlfriend during an argument was sentenced to six months in jail. David Havenner, 41, of Port Orange, pleaded no contest to misdemeanor charges of battery and possession of an alligator, said Linda Pruitt, spokeswoman for the State Attorney's Office

(ok ok, I just saw the button that allows you to easily put in links, so all of these are done correctly... sigh... it's been a LONG WEEK).

Posted by vw bug at 02:29 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Pictures of damage from Hurricane Charley

While going through different blogs. Don't even ask how I find these things! Though I found a good techie one called and found a link to The Schnitt Show which has pictures of the damage done from Hurricane Charley.

Just thought I would pass them along. And Yes, I was too lazy to do the links via html and just did a copy paste into this blog entry.

Posted by vw bug at 02:22 PM | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Picture of Hurricane Ivan

Here is a picture of Ivan from a couple of days ago. My Navy Nephew could not resist sending me the link. Hmmmm...


To see it so you can expand it:

Posted by vw bug at 11:10 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 09, 2004

A couple of pictures of damage at my place

Here is an arbor I had. It was completely covered by a Passion Vine. If you look closely, you can see the bench is still in it. These are large files because you can't see anything when I make them smaller for viewing.


Before the Hurricane, I had a really nice shade tree:


After the Hurricane, I have a mess:


Posted by vw bug at 09:52 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Dog and Pony Show

Here are some pic's for you Grandpappy and the rest of the family... the dog is red and the pony is white. Grin. As you can see, both survived Hurricane Frances with little damage.

Dog and Pony

Dog and Pony

Posted by vw bug at 09:48 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Danger Prone Daphne Strikes Again

Amazing how I can cause as much damage as I do. While in NW Florida, we went to visit my sister. Actually Mamaw told us we were going to go visit so my sis could fix us dinner (i.e. get us out of Mamaw’s for a while. GRIN).

Well my sister has a fairly new house. When it was brand new my #1 DogSon threw up on her new carpet. Yaa, someone in my family was first to do damage! Hahaha. Well, during this visit I was the one to cause damage. First I went to the restroom and walked out with the handle to the faucet. I swear it just came off in my hand. Later I moved a chair and a screw came out. Again, I did nothing but pick up the chair to move it. Then I went to feed #2 Son and my sister offered to hold him while I fed him since I forgot the booster chair. So on to the chair with an ottoman in the living room. Bad decision – same carpet as before. Sure enough, I spilled some ORANGE squash on the carpet. Finally, just before we are to leave I go to the restroom and the toilet won’t flush. I merely walk out of the restroom and mention it to my brother-in-law in passing as I go out the door to the car. My Husband, brother-in-law, and sister all crack up laughing.

Oh well, at least we all got a good laugh. I just hope I don’t pass this trait onto my sons!

Posted by vw bug at 09:09 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

14 hours

Well, I spent some time writing over 2 pages of information on this trip from hell. Then decided not to post it. I will give highlights so those in NW Florida understand why I did not call when I got there...

Got up at 4am Thursday morning after only 2 hours sleep with #2 Son. Husband got up at 7am with #1 Son. Spent whole day preparing to leave and was pretty pissed the whole time because I do not like last minute things like this. Husband and in-laws stayed outside most of the time trying to get the yard ready and the shutters up. Thank God for in-laws. We finally left at 6:30pm (EST).

We were also blessed in that we had no problems finding and getting gas. There was a point were it took 2 hours to go 10 miles. We tried 4 times to get a hotel and not one of them had a room. Even the reststops were packed. By the time we got to one and actually found a parking spot, the kids were too wound up to sleep. When they did sleep, only one would sleep at a time. The one that was awake was fussy. The only one that didn't complain the whole trip was #1 DogSon. And he got stepped on, toys thrown on him and who knows what else.

We arrived in NW Florida at 8:30am (EST). The kids had had enough sleep to want to be awake and eat breakfast. So needless to say, Husband and I took turns trying to get some sleep. I let him go first since he was in the hot sun most of the day before and drove all but 1 hour of the trip. He didn't want to deal with the kids - I did offer to drive. GRIN.

Ok, enough said. It was not fun and I never ever want to do that again.

Posted by vw bug at 01:24 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Pony is fine!

Just a quick entry to let everyone know that the Pony survived his vacation at the barn. Though his stall over here has ants and his pastures (yes he has 2), have trees down. Including one of that was a favorite cypress is broken in half.

We should have him back today or tomorrow at the latest. Though the Husband has to work today, so we'll see how much I get done with 2 kids and the dog helping out. I would like the Pony back here, I miss him talking to me and the kids when we are in the yard.

Posted by vw bug at 07:45 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 06, 2004

How to get PMS and make it worse

I remember reading in Doctors’ offices the girlie magazines about PMS. By ‘girlie’ magazines I am talking about Glamour, Cosmopolitan and others. They all basically said the same things about PMS. To keep it under control or prevent it from happening you need to:

Eat right
Get plenty of sleep
Keep the stress level down

You should do this all the time, but particularly the week before. Well, my week included a child teething (sleep deprivation). With me, if I don’t get sleep I have a tendency to eat LOTS of cookies (eat wrong!). I was trying to get ready for a category 4 hurricane (stress!!!). Exercise… hahahahaha.

So during that time, my poor husband caught hell. Did I mention I am one of those that like organization in my life? For the hurricane I had it worked out what needed to be done on what day when I thought we were staying. This had to be done on Monday, the other things had to be done on Tuesday, more stuff on Wednesday, even more on Thursday and a few more items on Friday. Now Thursday morning my husband informs me we are leaving. Hmmm… I’m stressed, no sleep, and eating poorly. You can guess my reaction to this last minute decision.

Though right now, while typing this a few days later, I am EXTREMELY grateful to him. I have had the opportunity to visit my parents, I was not in my house with 2 small children and dog with no power for 2 ½ days (and no generator), and I was not dealing with our roads being a foot under water.

Yep, my poor family went through a few days of the worse PMS I have ever had. I will not tell you everything I said and who I said it to, but I used a few choice words that I haven’t said in a long time. I am happy that my #1 Son did not pick up any of these words! Timing is everything and I am happy to say, we all survived. That includes surviving the hurricane as well. BIG GRIN.

More later on the 14 hour trip and Danger Prone Daphne strikes again.

Posted by vw bug at 10:44 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Still in NW Florida

Doing fine in NorthWest Florida. Called my house today and got the answering machine that is plugged into the outlet. So it means my house has power again!!! Called Bou a couple of times over the last couple of days, but unable to reach her today to let her know she can go over and get air conditioning at my house if she needs it!! Can't wait to tell all the stories I have about this experience... but just got this aol dial-up working. More later!
Posted by vw bug at 04:21 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 02, 2004

Hurricane Frances and me

Hurricane shutters up, most of the stuff out of the yard. Lots done in the house. Got the stable across the street ready for the pony. Phew... this is one BIG storm. I wish everyone the best.
Posted by vw bug at 01:14 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

September 01, 2004

Last entry for a couple of days

Ok, I am going to be busy for the next couple of days. If I get on-line at all it will be to check the weather and read something relaxing. Looks like Hurricane Frances is going to be a pain in my arse. But I'm not wigging out anymore. Just trying to get everything lined up and hunker down. So will tell you the humorous stories of the last day sometime next week. Later! VW Bug
Posted by vw bug at 11:47 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack